It is frustrating to imagine that the building you have established can just be ruined by rainwater. Little leaks up in your roof can be a headache in your part as this can cause larger problem later on – if remain un-noticed or not fixed immediately. The truth is, even if your building is well-designed and sturdily built, it will not last that long if you do not apply adequate waterproofing on it.
What is waterproofing?
In the construction industry, it is a way of covering a building structure using membranes and coatings that protect the components underneath from damage caused by water (usually rainwater). Not only does water can cause the structure, particularly the wooden ones, to rot, but it also serves as a breeding ground for toxic molds, which could also bring potential danger for the occupants.
Problems caused by inadequate waterproofing are particularly prevalent during rainy seasons. With that, it makes sense to waterproof your building before this season hits. And, if you think a do-it-yourself waterproofing is not enough for you, you can always hire professionals to handle the task. A waterproofing company can help you to waterproof the following components:
- Water tanks and fire suppression tanks – a concrete material, as we know it, can develop cracks or leaks and therefore must be designed in a way that it has the necessary protection against the water that is meant to contain. Roofing companies have the technology to take care of this issue; they can prepare concrete tanks properly and can waterproof most especially the sections that are most vulnerable to water damage.
- Decks, driveways and walkways – these are constantly exposed to unwanted waters and therefore the chances for damage is very high. Walkways or staircases that have been ruined by water can be potentially hazardous to the occupants most specially that these areas are one of the most commonly used parts of the building.
- Walls – non-waterproofed walls, most especially the ones made out wooden materials, when exposed to water, can be a dwelling place for wood-destroying micro-organisms, which contributes to their further deterioration. Waterproofing companies use waterproof membranes and sheeting to prevent water from penetrating the walls.
- Below-grade structures – these are building components below the ground level; these areas are also vulnerable to rain water and should be waterproofed as well to prevent possible water damage. This is crucial since these components are a part of your building core foundation.
- Planter boxes – another area that is prone to water damage is the place where your planter boxes are housed in. Waterproofing companies make use roofing cement and a clear acrylic sealant to address leaking problems.
Mak Camusuvski is passionate in writing topics that have something to do with construction and roofing. Visit Waterproofing San Francisco, CA for more roofing information.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mak_Camusuvski