As the holiday season is over it has been reported that there were thousands of fire related incidents over the festive period. The main cause of these fires was overloading sockets and faulty Christmas decorations. Therefore throughout the year of 2014 we need to be aware of what we can do every day to make sure the chances of fire in our homes is kept to a minimum.
We use electricity every day and rarely think about it or how dangerous it can be as most of us get up and make a cup of tea or coffee and don’t realise how much electricity the kettle is using. There are a number of different measures that you yourself can carry out to protect yourself and your family against electrical danger.
If you are thinking about installing outdoor lighting in your home make sure that you get a fully qualified electrician to do it for you as they know how to do it correctly.
When choosing your outdoor lights make sure the lighting is outdoor lighting as the risk of electrocution with regular lighting is significantly increased. Even if you are using a temporary light, for example to light up your yard for renovation make sure to only use extension leads designed for the outdoors.
The reason for this is because these extensions are specially designed to withstand water, rain and snow. The extension itself will be designed to cut of the supply of electricity to the device if it detects water to prevent you from getting shocked.
If you have frayed or damaged cables do not tamper with them as the live wires will be exposed therefore the chances of electrocution is increased. The best solution for this is to get in your electrician as he will be able to replace the damaged cables for you.
Many people forget to turn of their electrical goods such as their televisions and chargers; the problem with this is that the plug is most likely to overheat and could cause a fire which has the potential to escalate quickly throughout your home.
If you notice that there are burn marks on any of your sockets and switches this is a cause for concern as it is a sign that your appliances are overheating. If the problem persists contact your electrician so he can come out and assess the appliance.
If you are having any problems with your appliances or installing electrical goods please contact your electrician as it will save your life and your family’s lives.
Here is a weatherproof socket:
Here is an extension cable reel:
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8255071